the journey of our 5 senses

Come check out our journey of the 5 senses!


haha! this is a family collaboration made from shaving cream dough! quite the handsome creation if I say so myself... (wink, wink)
"I have 5 senses, too?!"

Yeah, buddy! You sure do. Here is our little journey of our 5 senses lesson that I did with H and his 2 little friends. The kidos that I did this with are 2-3 year olds and a 4 year old. It was so much fun! Here we go...

I have to admit... we did a little taste test experiment too, but I didn't take pics. I'm so sorry, but it was SUPER easy and I'll just tell ya about it. I made a chart with all the 5 different senses. I put each one at the top and on the side I wrote 5 different items that we tested.
salt, lemon, sugar, a bell and feather.
You can use whatever you have around. We basically just decided what sense we use to observe each object. (The lemon, of course, was the funniest.) We documented it on our chart as we went along to each item.


Next, we read my 5 Senses by Aliki Brandenberg and just referred back to the chart and items as we read. It really connected. Also, allow time for conversation and questions. The kids loved to tell me their discoveries when it all clicked.

Next, we sang and read- Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. (eyes and ears and mouth and nose...) I thought this was a good way to point out some of the senses and get the wiggles out from sitting while doing the experiment and book. They had a blast with that.
We followed that with making "My little book of 5 Senses." I had went through some old magazines and cut out some pictures that we could glue onto our book pages.

Supplies for books:
  • pipe cleaners
  • card stock
  • magazine cut outs that represent our senses
  • glue
  • kids (haha)
We started by cutting the cardstock into rectangles big enough to glue a couple of pictures on them and punching 2 holes in the side. One on top and one on bottom. We then put a pipe cleaner through the top hole and the bottom of the cleaner through the bottom hole. Flipped the book around and twisted the two ends. Voila! Little book. Next choose a sense for the first page and find a picture of a mouth, eye... and then choose a pic of something that represents that sense. Like, mouth-food, etc. Keep going till your book is filled up with all the 5 senses and an example of how you use it.


So stinkin' cute I must say... I love the pictures they chose. That big, expressionless blue bird cracks me up!

Ok... movin' on. Last, but not least, they maaaaaaade....

SHAKERS!
shake, shake, shake! shake, shake, shake! shake your shakers!

Supplies for Shakers:
  • plastic spoons
  • cute tape
  • easter egg
  • dry pasta
  • rhythm (optional)
Fill your eggs with dry pasta. Not completely full, you want a little room so they will make noise. Next, tape the bottom of your spoons and slip your egg in the center so that the spoon grabs the egg snuggly in the cup part. Tape around the center making sure to try and follow the part of the egg that opens and follow it around the outside of the spoon. TADA! Shake it, baby! Listen with your ears, watch it move with your eyes, touch it with your hands. What senses didn't we use? (just a question you can ask them)

Well, that's it! When the other littles Mom came to get them you should have seen how excited they were to share all they had learned. Hope you and your little one(s) have fun with this lesson!

Books used during this lesson:
My Five Senses Big Book by Aliki Brandenberg amazon.com
Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes Illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka
lyrics: youtube.com Super Simple Songs Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts